Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Our American Girl


Selah has been wanting an American Girl Doll for some time now. She has several friends who have them, and after a play date with those friends, she comes home asking for one of her own. As usual, I talk to her about not getting everything we want, being content with what we have, the possibility of getting one "someday" for a birthday or for Christmas. They are expensive, and she has several dolls she likes very much. I decided that if (when) we get her one, I want her to appreciate it and I want her to have to wait awhile in order to glean the lessons learned from that as well.

So, in the meantime, we have been reading the American Girl books. And they are FABULOUS!! I love it because each book introduces a different girl with a special personality and heritage that is representational and true to the particular point in American history. So far we have read:

Samantha, 1904 ~ a bright Victorian beauty, an orphan raised by her wealthy grandmother.

Kirsten, 1854 ~ a pioneer girl of strength and spirit who settles on the frontier. Her and her family arrive in America after a long sea voyage from Sweden. We read about the sea and land journey her family experienced as they immigrated to the United States.

These stories are exciting and the history and lessons about the life of a little girl who might have lived 50-100-150 years ago are both entertaining and educational for Selah. Several times during the story her mouth will drop open and her eyes will get wide as she realizes the vast difference between life 150 years ago and life as we know it today.

The reason I had to blog about this was because even though it's pleasure reading of the American Girl story books, she is learning so much from it. The history, as well as realizing how blessed we are today in America. Tonight we finished one of the books, and as she laid in bed and we said our prayers, I was surprised at what I heard... it went something like this...
"And God, thank you that we have so many nice things like my room and cars and airplanes. Please help me keep all my stuff good and take care of it and share if there are people in America who just came here and need something. Thank you for everything that we have and help my Mommy keep it because I'm never getting married and since I'm going to live with Mommy and Daddy forever....."

And the prayer went on from there, but I thought it was pretty cool that she could discern the comforts of the life we have now compared to the hardships of the way of life "back then," and realize just how blessed she is to be an American Girl living in the 21st century.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although the AG dolls are expensive they are fun to play with - and they have great books to help girls cope with growing up. Web shopping is always a good way to get bargains on AG stuff.

Anyway I'm so glad she likes her doll.

Jodie said...

It is neat that you are having so much fun with these books. It makes me look forward to when I read them to Lilly.