Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Grandma Rada's Homemade Jam



I was just looking for a good excuse to spend some time with my Grandma Rada, so I called her and asked if she could help me make and can my first batch of jam. She was happy to have us. For as long as I can remember she has canned foods, so I wanted her to be the one to teach me how.
The kids and I picked about 5 gallons of blackberries at the Owasso Tree and Berry Farm with Dad and Janice one morning. I bought blueberries as well, and away we went to Grand Lake to spend the day making jam.
I used about 3 gallons of blackberries, and we had picked the other 2 for her to use in her pie baking. First we made the blueberry jam, then the blackberry. We just followed the recipe on the back of the Pectin package. They both turned out delish! And I think the blueberry is my favorite jam ever! The blackberry is really good too, but I love the blueberry.
The kids helped fill the jars, and Grandma and I had so much fun in the kitchen together that afternoon. It was so surreal at times... I can remember my mom and my grandma standing in the kitchen cooking, canning, talking, and spending time together. There were a few moments that I had that "oh this is like de ja vue... cept it's Grandma and ME... who is reminding me of my MOM!" Weird, but cool, but sad. Anyway. We did have a great time. I liked her little canning tools. Antiques, I'm sure. But practical and neat! My Grandma Rada is so fun. Neat. Funny. Smart. Good and what she does. Does what she loves. Loves what is good. Like JAM! Yum!














No comments: