Monday, April 5, 2010

Great Grandma Rada's Secret to Long Life


Occasionally my kids and I will be talking about healthy lifestyles, making right choices for foods, exercise, or other things of that nature, and often times mention of my Grandparents will come up.

Both sets of my Grandparents are still alive, and into their 80's. It wasn't until I was a teenager and into young adulthood that my Great-Grandparents started passing away. I figured out early on that that was a bit rare. Good genes (and wrinkles, unfortunately) run in the family.

So my kids have began to realize this as well, and often will say things like "that's why PaPa Jim and GiGi are so healthy still! Because they always exercise every day, and because they eat lots of veggies."

At our family Easter dinner the kids and I were sitting on the couch chatting with my Grandma Rada, and I said, "Grandma, the kids and I often talk about how you and Grandpa are 80 years old, and are still so healthy! The kids will ask me to tell them about how you've managed to stay so healthy and active."

And her response was something very close to this:

"Well... (batting her eyes and smacking her lips) Charlie and I have always eaten very healthy. Lots of vegetables from my garden, and other healthy foods that are always made from scratch ~ not much junk food at all. We also exercise and go for walks. We work really hard in the yard and around the house. And I take a nap every day! Every single day I lay down for a short nap. And most importantly I talk to the Lord throughout the day. There is a verse in the bible that I quote out loud.... Philippians 4:6-7, which says "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Selah sat on my lap and listened so intently. Bryson and Charis were standing by and soaking it all in. They of course smiled at her because of the dramatization that she adds to her "story telling." At this point, Selah had a smile on her face as Grandma continued on:

"And even now-a-days when I'm trying to can food, or work in the garden, and my knee starts to bother me or slow me down, I stop and rest for a few minutes and say to the Lord "those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength... they shall mount up on wings, like eagles! They shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not faint (Selah giggled at that part), help me Lord, help me Lord, to wait."
And then! I have another burst of energy and strength that comes from the Lord, and I get up and keep working and keeping myself as healthy as I can. That's how I do it!"

And then she did what every good Grandma would do, and she pulled out chocolate Cadbury Cream Eggs from her purse for the kids. Except this Grandma made them stand back, and she threw them at them and told them to try to catch it. She's one-of-a-kind, that's for sure!

No comments: